Outlook is the commonly used email client which can be easily configured to any webmail account to send and received multiple email messages. PST is the default file format for MS Outlook. Outlook is so easy to manage the email messages and email data in it. Most of the things like graphics, themes, security reasons etc. are make it different from other email clients.
While EML file format is formed by Windows Live Mail email client and several other email clients. Windows Live mail, Apple Mail, etc. formed the EML file format. It contains all the email messages, contacts and other attachments into it.
When user try to open the EML files in MS Outlook. The .eml file does not open in the MS outlook 2007 and other versions. However, this file will be opened in Windows Mail, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. So, accessing the email messages of MS Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Apple Mail, etc. into MS Outlook it is required to convert the EML file into PST format. Then, it is easy to access the messages of EML format into MS Outlook.
Few Simple Steps to read .eml files in Outlook
- Open up regedit.exe (The windows registry editor)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Microsoft Internet Mail Message WLMail\shell\open\command
- Change "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" /eml:%1 to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /eml "%1" (do not forget the double quotes!)
- Restart your computer
Hopefully, this manual method works to open your EML files into MS Outlook. By using this manual process, Windows think that “Windows Live Mail” is still the default program to open the .eml files. But, in realty we have changed the registry by which we are opening OUTLOOK.EXE file instead of opening a Windows Live Mail.
Sometimes, this process may lead to damage/corrupted EML file due to wrong execution of commands. So there is a safe process to use a EML to PST Converter by which user can access their Windows Live Mail EML files into MS Outlook easily.
After the failure of this manual method, there is an alternative method to choose a third party EML to PST Converter. It is a more beneficial tool for users to access their different EML files on any versions of MS Outlook.
How to Migrate Windows Live Mail EML files into MS Outlook
- Open Windows Live mail
- In Windows Live Mail, click File>>Export>>Email Messages
- Select “Microsoft Exchange” format and click on Next. It means you want to export to Microsoft Outlook.
- A pop up message box will appear which informed that all the email messages will be export to Microsoft Outlook. Press OK and proceed to further.
- Outlook started in the background process. Now an Export message dialog window appears. There choose: Selected Folders.
- Select the single or multiple email messages containing folder that you want to export.
- Click on OK and wait for the completion of process.
- Message box will appear when the export is done. Click on Finish.
Note: Importing emails from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 2013 needs 32-bit Outlook 2013 application. 64-bit application encounters issues while moving email folders.
It is an affordable solution for users to export from Windows Live Mail to MS Outlook. It can help you to access the email messages containing folder of Windows Live Mail to MS Outlook.